Using PuTTY and MobaXTerm

Hi,

I’m Milan, BN PhD student. I’ve been now using the hpc05 cluster for a while. However, when connecting from home using PuTTY or MobaXterm, my connection expires after very short inactivity (a minute or so) which is very annoying. Tried to find a way to fix that on our wiki and in the PuTTY/MobaXterm settings but couldn’t. Is there a way to change that? Thanks for your help!

Hi @milan_lacassin, welcome to the forum!

I’ve moved your question to a separate topic, so that it doesn’t get lost. I don’t have experience neither with PuTTy nor MobaXterm, so I hope somebody else will be able to help there. However a good idea when dealing with persistent sessions is to use software like screen or tmux. Both of these ensure that your session doesn’t die if you accidentally disconnect.

Hi Milan,

did you see this https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/20193/how-to-make-putty-to-not-break-my-session-after-some-time ? maybe this can help you out,

best,

Leila

1 Like

Anton and Leila,

Thank you for your both useful answers! It seems like the solution in the stack exchange Leila sent with setting the “seconds between keep alive” PuTTY setting to 60 allows me to stay connected. Thank you for your time and your quick replies! And hopefully this can help other home-workers connecting from their laptop.

Best regards,

Milan

1 Like